Tuesday, August 3, 2010

On to animation : Introduction of manga

It's been some time since my last Blog post. After two very busy weeks I'm back :D
but now lets get back to how I decided I wanted to direct movies and create graphic novels.


First off some of you are wonderingW "what is Manga? "
Manga is just the Japanese word for comic. Only difference is that their comics tend to be more cinematic. Relying on camera angles and aspect shots to create a feeling that your actually there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Osamu Tezuka - New Treasure Island


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Eiichiro Oda - One Piece


In the last " On to animation " post I discussed the anime fad that hit the US when I was in intermediate school. A year or two after manga started to hit the US as well. I first saw manga in Barnes and Noble sometime in 6th or seventh grade. It was the manga of Dragonball Z. I was puzzled as to why it was read right to left. I was also shocked at the detail in the comic and thought it looked different than the Us comics I read. I just couldn't put my finger on it. At that time I wasn't a big big reader and this odd book did hook me in. So I put down the book and continued on to what ever else I was doing.

I wouldn't get hooked into Manga until one night when I found this manga. Being a huge Digimon fan at the time is what really hooked my into reading it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This would be the beginning of my manga addiction.

What was so special about manga that hooked me in compared to American comics. Which I had only slight interest in reading?

Find out next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment